14 year old foodie Patrick Meyer’s Spring entertaining recipes:
Strawberry Surprise Cake
1 angel food cake
One 3-ounce package strawberry gelatin
2 1/2 cups boiling water
1 pound package frozen strawberries
Dissolve the gelatin in boiling water and add the strawberries, stirring to break up and mix the berries.Place the cake, wide-side down, on a serving plate. Cut a 1-inch layer from the top and set it aside. Cut around the cake 1 inch from the outer edge to 1 inch from the bottom. Cut around the cake 1 inch from the inner edge to 1 inch from the bottom. Gently remove the section of cake between the cuts and pour in the strawberry mixture. Place the cake layer back on top and spread the whipped cream all over the top and sides of the cake.
Creamsicle Mini Trifles
- 1 Box Orange Jell-o
- 8 oz tub whipped topping such as Cool Whip, divided
- 1 teaspoon orange extract
- zest of one orange
- ⅔ cup Boiling water
- ½ cup ice
- whipped cream
- vanilla wafers
- orange candies
- In bowl, combine Jell-o powder with ⅔ cup boiling water. Stir until powder is completely dissolved. Place ½ cup ice into a 1-cup measuring cup and top to 1 cup with cold water. Add to the Jell-o mixture and stir until ice is almost melted. Discard ice.
- In a large bowl, fold together Jell-o mixture, orange extract, orange zest if using and ⅔ of the tub of Cool Whip (reserve the remaining ⅓ for topping). Refrigerate mixture overnight.
- Layer orange mixture, whipped cream, and cookies in clear cups. Garnish with orange candy.