Chef Mark Pollard with Ferguson Kitchen and Lighting joins us to share some delicious recipes you can make before or after the holiday. Visit Ferguson: 575 Woodruff Road, Greenville. http://www.ferguson.com
Pear Chutney and Goat Cheese Bruschetta
1 loaf French bread
4 large ripe pears, such as Bosc or Anjou
⅓ cup packed brown sugar
⅓ cup dark raisins
⅓ cup apple cider vinegar
2 teaspoons ginger, grated
½ teaspoon Chinese five-spice powder
¼ teaspoon kosher salt
1 log mild goat cheese, such as Montrachet
½ cup parsley leaves for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Slice bread diagonally into 32 scant 1/2-inch-thick slices; reserve ends for making bread crumbs another day. Place bread slices on 2 cookie sheets. Toast bread 10 minutes or until crusty and dry, turning slices over once. Transfer bread to wire racks to cool.
- Meanwhile, prepare pear chutney: Peel and core pears; cut into 1/2-inch pieces. In nonstick 12-inch skillet, cook pears, sugar, raisins, vinegar, ginger, five-spice powder, and salt over medium heat 25 to 30 minutes or until all of liquid evaporates and sugar caramelizes, stirring frequently during the last 10 minutes of cooking. Mixture will become very thick and turn dark brown. Cool chutney to room temperature.
- Just before serving, assemble bruschetta: Spread 1 rounded teaspoon goat cheese evenly on each toasted bread slice. Top each with 1 scant tablespoon pear chutney and a parsley leaf.
PIMIENTO CHEESE DEVILED EGGS
12 large eggs
2 teaspoons white vinegar
2 ounces Cheddar cheese
3 ounces cream cheese
¼ cup mayonnaise
3 tablespoons diced pimientos
½ teaspoon dry mustard
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- In a large pot over high heat, bring eggs, vinegar, and enough cold water to cover by 1 inch to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-high to maintain a medium boil and cook eggs for 8 minutes. Drain and run eggs under cool water. Fill a bowl with cold water, add eggs, and let sit for 20 minutes to cool at room temperature.
- Peel eggs and halve lengthwise. Remove yolks and transfer to a medium bowl. Set aside whites on a serving plate. With a fork, break up yolks until fluffy.
- To yolks, add Cheddar cheese, cream cheese, mayonnaise, diced pimientos, dry mustard, Worcestershire, and mix well to combine. Season to taste with kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper. Fill egg whites. Cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes, or until ready to serve.